Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Modern car paint and rust

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:56:10 -0600
amdx wrote:

snip
WOw! I'll need to climb under and check it out.
I expect I won't see any problems, it's been a Florida truck all it's
life, so no snow or salt on the underside. It just rolled over 100,000
miles in the last two weeks. Hmm, another 20 years will make me 81, I
might need to purchase another truck before I die. ;-)
Thanks for the heads up on the rust problem.

No biggie but it you get around to looking I would be curious to know
how it looks

A friend/neighbor bought a 1976 Chevy K20 Pickup from Montana last
summer. Made a trip to trailer it back. I had a 1976 C10
Shortbox Pickup that was ridiculously rusted out by 1980. Bottom of the
tailgate, doors, front fenders, front of the hood, inner box fenders...
It was two years old when I bought it and immediately had it
rustproofed. It still looked good then... Anyway the truck he brought
back is in immaculate condition. I had warned him about that year and
rust but was I ever wrong. Still has the original paint. He just did
some routine maintenance, tires, exhaust, cab mounts... and drove it.
It has been appraised at $18000 to $22000 if I recall correctly.

So where you live can make a big difference...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b