Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default fewer through-hole transistors available

In article om,
Clifford Heath wrote:

I've been trying to stock up my own (hobbyist-level) supplies of
useful TO-92 transistors...

Why? You're not doing production if 100 is lifetime. If it's for
prototyping, why not just learn to prototype in SMT? It's not that
hard. A lot of RF things are easier because stuff is physically
smaller.

I do more prototyping in SMT these days when I'm puttering with a new
design of any complexity... have even put together a toaster-oven-
based setup with a ramp-and-soak controller.

For repairing older audio equipment and RF test gear which was
designed with through-hole parts, or for doing Manhattan-style
prototypes, I still find it easier to stick with through-hole
components.