Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:51:48 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
You didn't catch the "something a bit smaller" portion of that joke,
didja? Handheld, that jet engine would launch _me_. (as if I
could lift it.) so I'd have to settle for something about 99.5%
smaller. Y'know, 3x larger than a weed burner, and movable. Once a
week, I could handle the fuel costs on my 50' driveway.

I caught the smiley, why I smiled back ;-)

Would a pressure washer leave too much ice? It could blow most powder
off the drive, and blast free any previous layers of ice.

You need to spend a winter or two in the rustbelt. It routinely gets
cold enough around here that the road salt/goop they spread quits
working. In those instances a pressure washer would be like spraying ice
rather than removing it

Snow fall can vary anywhere from light puffy stuff that you could move
with air pressure to hard packed stuff that you could cut into
chunks and build an igloo. I have/use a half-dozen shovels and a
couple brooms depending on the consistency.

Your choices are to shovel, plow, blow or drive over it. The latter can
become a huge pain though when a big thaw hits. Packed snow and ice
that is melting becomes really, really slippery. Even four-wheel drive
has its limitations...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b