Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Modern car paint and rust

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:54:28 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Sonntag, 12. Februar 2017 23:03:10 UTC+1 schrieb :

Right. It's better coatings, better primers and protection, and better application. Read, water-based coatings that often are based on urethanes; phosphate and weldable, etching primers; galvanizing in rust-prone areas; and electrophoresis and electrostatic application. The first water-based coatings -- used into the '80s by some manufacturers -- had poor adhesion and didn't weather well. They're MUCH better now.

All of this became more necessary as body panels got thinner, with the use of AHSS (advanced high-strength steels; a continuing evolution of the HSLA [high-strength, low-alloy] steels that were first used in the '70s). Rust is potentially a bigger problem than ever because the steel is thinner.

Are these modern coatings two-pack paints? Or some kind of stove enamel which is baked on? I also remember hearing something about paints which contained cyanide at some point.

I'd be interested to know the composition, because they seem way better than anything I can buy.

Thanks for the replies!

At some point in the last 2-3 decades, I recall seeing a commercial on
TV where the US mfgr touted that both vehicle frames and body panels
being dipped in a rust-proofing hot bath of some sort. I quit TV 13
years ago, so it was well before that.

The painter at work sprayed my old '72 Int'l Scout with Imron, a
2-part aviation paint. It was over $100/gal way back then ('82,
$3-500 now), but a friend had given it to me, the spare from painting
his '48 Willys wagon. Tony was the kind of painter who was somehow
connected with the paint and he could colormatch and stand up the
metalflake replacement paint like the original, so you couldn't tell
the difference. A true _artist_.

Have you talked with painters or automotive paint supply shops there
across the pond, Chris? They're fonts of knowledge, if you can get
them to spare you a few minutes.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.