Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best drive belts?

I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both while itr
is apart!!!)

After a LOT of searching/calling I found a current part number and
ordered the OEM belts. It was a bit of a scare, as the first prices
that came up were $112 and $55, but after they got through the
supercession list the current parts are only $51.73 and $24.57 (in
Canadian dollars)

Also found the measurements and they are a A29 for the Hydro and a B36
for the auger.( or 4L310 and 5L390)
What would be the best aftermarket belt to use on this unit in the
future that is generally available and will handle the abuse a
track-Drive snow blower can dish out?? Having backside idlers makes
some less advisable. Is a cog belt an advantage or disadvantahe here?
I used a cog belt on my old friction drive blower and it worked well
in the snow-filled semi-open drive area - limitting the slippage to
the rubber friction drive wheel.

Looking at the Timken (Carlisle) NON cogged listing there is the Super
II and the Aramax. The super II is their "problem solver" HD belt and
is a "raw edge" belt, while the ARAMAX is a kevlar wrapped belt
designed for lawn equipment.

Any belt experts out there who can ring in on this??