Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

Yes - I have a TapMatic. good info Don.

On 2017-02-06, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of
gears in the unit itself. It goes into jaws (or holder...) and the tap
into it's jaws.

Made just for taping.

Sounds like a TapMatic, or a Procunier, or even a Buck/Ridgid
Supreme VersaTapper tapping head. I have two sizes of the TapMatic, and
one of the Buck for larger taps.

They all use planetary gears to slow the speed during tapping,
and speed up during backing out.

I've fitted each with a MT-2 arbor to fit my drill press, but it
will work just as well with a cylindrical shank in a collet or tool
holder in the mill.

Mind you -- none of these are particularly affordable, new. All
of mine came from used sources, and the Buck one is out of production
anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.