Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Did gummer freeze to death, or drown in the floods

On 28/01/2017 7:01 AM, David Billington wrote:

What does an AU gun magazine comprise of, my understanding from an
Australian was the regs were similar to the UK with hand guns and rifles
restricted to professions that required them. A friend in the UK does to
black powder shooting which has risen in popularity as a result of the
increased restrictions on modern firearms here.

I used to shoot in competition, and once had probably around a dozen
firearms. By the time I moved here, had sold all but my Feinwrkbau 65
air pistol. When I learned that it would have to be imported, stored,
and treated as a firearm, and plinking in my back yard (live on the main
street) could land me in jail, I sold it too. So have virtually
zero direct knowledge of firearms here. Private non-professional
ownership is legal, at least in NSW, though tightly restricted.

Magazines feature lots of hunting articles, the usual reviews, and of
course, political discussion. There's quite a debate right now over a
particular model lever action shotgun over attempts to reclassify it as
something terribly dangerous. Reason I sent it over was the ads, you'd
be surprised what is actually advertised. Maybe I'll grab another from
the lunch room at work, scan a few ads and put up in a Google album,
share the link for y'all.

Attitudes over guns here surprise me, so many have a genuine outright
fear, as if the gun will imbue the owner with a desire to commit murder.
Not surprisingly, many Americans down here are in lock step with this.

A few weeks after arriving, the local gun club hosted an open range day,
out of curiosity I attended. Paid a modest fee, signed some paperwork,
got to shoot a Walther rapid fire pistol. The overall
atmosphere was, hmm, different to ranges in the States. Those attending
ranged from seasoned shooters, to some that declined to shoot and looked
upon the firearms with fear. Was interesting.
The paperwork registered me with the local police. I later thought with
amusement a possible reaction therein: "Typical Yank couple weeks in the
country and first thing runs off to the gun range"... lol.

Jon

---