Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Artchamber Julie Artchamber is offline

Default Cleaning Ceramic tile for reuse

replying to Ernie Willson, Julie Artchamber wrote:
ewillson wrote:

Jimmie...It sounded like a good idea, however, when I heated a test tile
up to the point that the mastic was starting to burn the tile cracked. I
guess it depends on the tile in question.
EJ in NJ

As an art teacher with much experience firing ceramics, one should always
heat and cool tiles (clay) slowly. The ceramic firing process takes long
hours because of the stress the clay endures and heating and cooling the
clay must be done gradually. Also, tiles come in a variety of clays, from
terra cotta which is more porous and fragile, to porcelain and stoneware
which are fired at much higher temperatures. These are not nearly as
porous, or fragile.

In another related problem, I found a solution to removing caulk residue
from ceramic tile (after scraping most of the caulk with razor blade).
using Goo-Gone or WD-40 seemed to be the most effective products. I tried
several suggested chemicals, like acetone, alcohol, paint thinner without
success. I can't deal with odors very well and found the Goo Gone to be
least "fragrant" and most effective while scrubbing with a plastic
scrubbie.