Ed Sirett

Default Whistling Boiler

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:41:47 +0000, anon wrote:

My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when
the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by
turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away
but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a
few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do
to fix it.

Possibly it is some form of 'kettling'. That is localized boiling in the
heat exchanger.

There are various chemicals to add to attempt to cure the effect, only one
of which IMHO is any good that's the boiler silencer gel form Fernox (£30
quid a shot).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk