Posted to alt.home.repair
KJ6EO KJ6EO is offline

Default Black & Decker charger repair

replying to purple.acorn, KJ6EO wrote:
purple.acorn wrote:

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.
Black & Decker has not been able to help. The warranty is over, so they
told me to buy a new one. They said they don't have records of what
parts were used in the charger. I've looked high and low for someone
who might have a schematic, but no luck.
Here's what I'm pleading for:
I need someone who has the PS160 charger to look at the circuit board
and tell me the colors of the bands on resistor R2 (there is a label
visible under the resistor). It's the one right next to the LED. My
resistor is burnt and I can't see the middle band(s) at all. It looks
like one end is a brown band, and the other is likely blue but might be
green. Can't be sure because of the damage.
As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
JC

Did you ever figure out what the correct value of R2 was in the PS160? I
would expect it to
be something like 10 ohms.