Ray Sandusky

Default turning crotch wood

Darrell

I am in possession of a very large 3ft long cherry crotch that is about 24"
in diameter. I am studying this piece and trying to figur the best way to
turn it.
Here are my questions:
1. Should I turn it long grain and make a hollow form with the crotch's V
as the base of the vessel?
-This I think will provide me a vessell with flames on both sides - am
I correct?

2. Should I split it across the dual piths and turn bowls or platters from
the 2 pieces?
-This I think will provide me with 2 matchbooked items that have a
flame going across the middle and may require a bit of gymnastics to keep
the flame intact.

Since you brought it up, I thought you might be the one to advise me on it.
I can send you a picture of the log if you would like.

Thanks

Ray

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I have added a page to the web site dealing with one attempt at turning
a yellow birch crotch. So far one side has been roughed and I will get
to the other as soon as possible. My intention is to put up a pages
dealing with how I work with odd shaped pieces of wood. Hopefully others
will do the same on their web sites. (hint, hint, hint) I think it would
be design insights for us all. I tend to turn natural edged pieces and
hollow forms while others will see boxes and vases in the same piece of
wood.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate