Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default DeWalt #705 12" CMS at Costco

On 1/31/14, 4:55 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/31/2014 9:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/31/14, 8:38 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Costco is also proof that raising the minimum wage doesn't hurt
business (probably improves it, in fact).

scott

Not to get into a political debate, but, well.... here I go.....

I would argue the opposite. Costco is actually proof that the
free market works. Costco pays higher than average wages for those
positions and that's why you never know which employee at Costco is
the manager. They all act like they are manager. They are all
proactive, hard working, take charge people who take pride in their
work and put customer service at the top of the priority list.

Costco gets these kind of employees by paying higher than average
wage. Everyone wants those jobs, so Costco gets to skim the cream
of the crop and send the rest to WalMart.

If Costco paid minimum wage, shopping there would be like shopping
at WalMart. A lot of lazy people with poor communication skills
and bad personalities, doing the bare minimum to get by, who act
like you're ruining their day for shopping there. The store would
be dirty, the shelves would be disorganized, it would take 10x as
long to get through their checkout lines, etc, etc.

Exactly! The only thing that raising minimum wage goes is raise the
pay to those that that make minimum wage to begin with. For 90% of
the people making minimum wage the productivity will not increase
when they get their raise. When that happens, prices have to rise to
offset the wage increase and you get inflation.

Most Union contracts use minimum wage as the baseline. So when minimum
wage goes up, so does the entire union workforce which raises the price
of all that stuff, too.

Keep the friggin government out of the economy and the economy will
do just fine.

No one would pay a $50 membership fee to shop at "Bulk-WalMart"
and Costco would've been out of business a long time ago.

Actually a lot of people pay for the Bulk Walmart membership, at
Sam's. ;!)

We were there.... and switched to Costco. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--