Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind chill and water pipes

On 1/5/2014 11:10 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/05/2014 09:57 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
XXXand "Wind Chill."

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/windchillfaq.shtml

Pay particular attention to the frequently asked question number 12.

If point #12 does not settle this argument once and for all, nothing will!

12. Does wind chill only apply to people and animals?

Yes. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects,
such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly
cool the object to cool to the current air temperature.
Object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature.
For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees
Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees
Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower
than -5 degrees F.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With people and pets, we want to keep the core temp at
98.6, much cooler than that will result in hypothermia.
Will a low wind chill make for hypothermia faster? I
guess yes.

With water lines, we want to keep at or higher than
32F. Will a low wind chill make for frozen pipes
faster? I guess yes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young