Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless steel, epoxy, and tableware

On 2013-12-31, Frnak McKenney wrote:

Are metal-related questions still allowed here? grin!

Yes!

Christmas brunch was wonderful. My sister and I were invited to eat
with a cousin and her family, and the French Toast -- made with slices
of French bread and peach butter -- was delicious.

As we sat around the table afterwards, one topic that came up was the
odd look of their stainless tableware, or to be more specific, the
knives. These were made by a company named Gorham (Fairview pattern?)
and had given wonderful service for many years, but recently they had
noticed that some of the knives were "separating": the blade had begun
to separate from the handle, showing a minor gap of roughly 1/8".

[ ... ]

Has anyone here ever seen this problem? My cousing said it might be
related to washing the knives in a dishwasher, but only about a
quarter of the knives seem to be affected.

Maybe only a quarter of the knives were in regular use and thus
regularly run through the dishwasher.

Sorry that I can't suggest how to fix them.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail