Posted to alt.home.repair
BlueRhyno BlueRhyno is offline

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

replying to HeyBub , BlueRhyno wrote:
heybub wrote:

Basic rule: You can't have too much soffit vents.
At a minimum, you should have one sq ft of soffit vent for each 150 sq ft

of
floor space. This is one sq ft of unobstructed venting. Some screening
material consumes as much as 2/3rds of the space. Refigure accordingly.
If you have a 1500 sq ft house, you need 100 sq ft of soffits, minimum.
Assuming the screening material is hardware cloth or similar that consumes
less than 20% of the opening, you should plan on 120 sq ft of soffit
venting. Further, assuming small, six inch soffits on a 50 x 30' house,

you
have 160 feet of perimeter. That means only 80 sq ft, maximum, for

available
soffit vents.
Obviously this is woefully insufficient for the appropriate amount of
passive ventilation. You'll have to move up a step in addition to ridge
vents. Turbines are the next step and beyond that powered ventilators.

I'll let you be my banker. I think you slipped an extra "0" in, it should
be 10 sq ft. of soffit.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-691831-.htm