Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Transmix utility mixer...

This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor (or perhaps even just make a fixed platform and and convert it
into essentially a stationary mixer since the cab on the 4440 is in the
way and there's not much of any way to mount the solid shaft to the rear
PTO to hold the weight and the little 955 isn't much more convenient it
appears, but I've not yet totally given it up)

Anyway, the Transmix was/is a 3-pt (or similar since IH had 2-pt at the
time) mixer that ran off the PTO using a center hub on the PTO and a
tire mounted on the rear of the drum as the driving mechanism. It was
on a tilting cradle that let you drive to a pour site and dump there.
We used it to pour all the bunks for the feedlots back then.

The point of the posting is while have all the pieces, it's been so long
since it used it I can't recall precisely how it assembled and if
anybody just out of the blue had access to manual or pictures on an IH
it would aid significantly in sorting it out. Can't believe in all the
manuals there are here(*) I can't find where Dad must have squirreled
this one away...

They were built by an outfit called Universal Pulleys Co. in Wichita,
KS. AFAICT they are no more and apparently haven't been for quite some
time.

Here's a link to one on a Ford 850; the one here has a different
mounting arrangement by enough that that picture is of minimal help on
the pieces-parts that I can't quite figure out orientation of as yet to
make it work. The cradle that the drum rolls on is similar but not the
remainder of the framework isn't at all similar. Part of difficulty is
I don't have/know distances and/or heights from the axles, etc., of the
560 so can't precisely locate a reference point to start from.

http://mmg.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Jim.UT/TransMix/mixer01lr.jpg.html

I'm sure eventually I can get it worked out but just took a break and
thought would ask -- if nothing else, others might find it an
interesting piece of gear...

(*) Like a like-new manual for 1920s Farmall and a Twin City Model 30 or