Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default oil-filled electric motors, topping up?

On 18/04/2013 21:01, newshound wrote:
On 18/04/2013 19:41, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 20:46:44 +0100, newshound
wrote:

The most pure mineral oil which is readily available in small
quantities is Liquid Paraffin BP from any chemist. Baby oil is nearly as
pure, but it has an added smell.

Hellfire. Raises a question of just how safe baby oil is. I assumed it
was palm oil or similar.

OK I guess some baby oils may be vegetable based, but I'm sure that some
used to be mineral. But "liquid paraffin BP" is considered safe to drink
so I'd expect it to be pure enough not to cause skin reactions even in
the most sensitive of persons. Remember that paraffins (in the proper
chemical sense) are very unreactive, whether as oil, paraffin wax, or
polyethylene and polypropylene (except when set alight).

Though they did stop using it on things like dried vine fruits some
years ago. Can't remember why.

--
Rod