Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oil-filled electric motors, topping up?

On Monday, April 15, 2013 3:01:23 PM UTC+1, Jules Richardson wrote:
I've got an electric sewer pump which uses an oil-filled motor - the
lower seal had a tiny leak which I fixed, but it could use a little
topping up before I use it in anger (the upper bearing's *just*
protruding above the oil surface, so it doesn't need much to cover it
again).

Tansformer oil often describes a toxic carcinogenic organ killing liquid, so I'm wary of any such stuff. A thin mineral oil with no additives should work nicely, whatever the original is. The easiest way to get that is to heat up some baby oil to drive the whiff off.

NT