Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Default Time and a half for over 40 hours

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:17:28 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 17:38:37 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 21:51:39 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:55:13 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:11:53 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 22:46:40 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Ned Flanders wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She
is working in a convenient store that also sells gas. She
has almost no job experience. She says her boss does not
pay time and a half for over 40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just
quit telling her to come in. What is the best way to
address this problem?

It seems her hands maybe tied if she wants to stick it out
for a while.
My wife went in to a business for a shift on a trial bases.
After the one 9 hour shift (she was asked to stay extra) my
wife decided she could not work there because of the owners
constantly barking dog and crying baby (and this was in a
shop in a mall?)...

Two weeks later she had not been paid so she emailed the
woman asking for her 8 hours pay and one hour OT. The
woman told her she does not pay OT.

My wife emailed her back with a copy of the labour laws... a
week later she received a cheque in the mail for the correct
amount.

Sometimes owners or managers need a reminder of the labour
laws.

Almost anyone at almost any time can be fired for almost
anything. There is no way to get inside your boss's mind and
know why he wants to keep some people and fire others, and he
can come up with a number of reasons to get rid of most
anyone. (if he has half a brain) So, there is little one can
do unless one has some written proof or recorded proof that
ones boss has it in for them for some reason other than job
performance. This is true of even top executives. As a
matter of fact, it is more true of top executives than it is
of underlings....

IN CANADA, a boss needs to write you up 3 times, giving you
the written notice, before he can fire you "with cause"
Firing "without cause" costs him money. He has to pay
severence - and you get to collect employment insurance if
you have worked enough hours to qualify.

Don't know how it is in the USA.

I don't know either, but suppose the company is going out of
business, and the, "boss" can't pay you another dime because
he, and his company are dirt broke? What then, pussycat? Do
you get to pluck some bucks from that money tree in Washington
DC?

Ever hear of "bankruptcy" and "stand in line"?

Of course. but conversely, have you ever heard of letting
somebody go because you can't afford to keep them? There are
many reasons for letting employees go. It is not always a matter
of choice.

Of course. The issue then becomes "who".

The generally accepted term is "layoff", but why are you stating
the obvious?

My point is simple. Unless you can prove that you were layed off
for reasons unrelated to your job performance and or money
restrictions, you can probably do nothing about it.

There is no reason you *should* be able to "do" anything about it.
What are you proposing to "do" about it?

I'm not propowint to do anything about it. Someone else was worried
that his wife's or girlfriends boss would let her go for some non
job related reason and was asking what he or she could do about it.

That question was about OT, not layoffs.

I havfe been retired for 16
years now and don't have those kinds of problems anymore... but, in
the past, I have had similar problems with idiotic bosses..... I
usually found that the best thing to do was leave and find another
job.

Certainly right.

Even if one were
to bring their case to court and win, then they are going to have to
work under a ****ed off boss for the reat of time. IOW, there is no
good solution to the problem. In the old days, things were a lot
worse than they are now. I let it slip to a prospective employer
once who I had worked for before, and he contacted that person, who
(of course) told him not to hire me. You live and learn....:^)

Why should you even be able to sue? It's their job. If you're not
the right person for it, for *whatever* reason, why should you be
there? It's *not* your property.

Well, as a libertarian, I sort of agree with you. but if they fired you
because of your skin color, (for example) they would be in big trouble. So
there are exceptions, and many of these came about during my working life,
which started back in the 60's when I got out of the Navy.

These are exceptions even in at-will states. Note that they don't
mean anything, though. A person can still be let go for no reason,
just one of a few proscribed ones.