Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Default Time and a half for over 40 hours

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 17:49:35 -0700, "Bill Graham"

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 15:58:08 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 07:42:13 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 4/6/2013 12:51 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

My point is simple. Unless you can prove that you were layed off
for reasons unrelated to your job performance and or money
restrictions, you can probably do nothing about it.

Laid off or fired is irrelevant. If enough time elapse with the
job, the ex-employee can collect unemployment compensation.
Not if you are fired "with cause" in Canada - at least in Ontario.

Doesn't it depend on the cause? If the job changes and you're now not
qualified, it is a firing with cause (incompetency) but it's not
something you can do anything about.

True. And this happens to many people in this computer age. I was a high
energy physics machind operator. They obsoleted my machind and transferred
me to a new, much larger and more complicated machind when I was older and
less able to memorize large quantities of information. They didnlt lay me
off, but they instituted a, "geezer elimination program" (my descriotion)
where they paid you two weeks salery for every year you had been with them
(up to a maximum of a years pay.) Since I had been with them for 28 years, I
g9ot a years pay to leave, so I retired at the age of 61, but didn't start
collecting any social security until the following year, at 62.

When I (was) retired (laid off, RIF'd, whatever - could have
interviewed for a number of other positions but it was time to go)
from IBM they paid me for 6 months, plus all vacation, and gave me a
year's medical insurance, too (my retirement insurance picked up from
there until I got a job with insurance). I started collecting my
retirement immediately but will try to go another five years, until
full SS age. Maybe longer, maybe not.

Layoffs are certainly different from firings, though. Layoffs are
common even states that are not "at will".