imanc imanc is offline
Junior Member

Default knocking a door way into a wall

Hey folks,

In my new (old) victorian terrace, there's a fairly useless room at the back that is only accessible via an external door in the back garden. It's too small to use as a work shop, but it'd make an ideal place to house the washer,dryer and combi boiler, if I open a door way from the kitchen into it.

The dividing wall is solid, but there's no solid wall above, and the joists run parallel with the wall. I assume it's single skin wall, but I can drill through a small piece of mortar to get the depth.

The flooring in the room is screwed - and will need relaying, and the walls are bare brick, so they'll need to be plasterboarded out, as well as the ceiling. There are no services in the way of the proposed door way.

So i have a few questions re's how to go about this:

1) Should I assume the wall is load bearing and choose a sufficient lintel and use acroprops?

2) What size does the hole need to be to support a 32" door? I assume that a bit more than the width of door+width of casing x 2 will be required.

3) there's going to be brick at the base of the door - I assume I just chisel out enough of this to lay a solid floor over it.

4) Do I just go at it with a hammer and cold chisel, or should I get hold of something like a stihl saw to make the initial cut?

5) I assume there are no requirements re's fire rated doors etc. as it'll be an interior door.

Cheers,
imanc