Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Grinding lathe bed.

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:37:32 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
Ned Simmons fired this volley in
:

He's probably running the grinder on the tailstock ways

I might have to take that back... PT later on down mentioned that the L&S
carriage runs on both front and back ways.

That's not to imply that tailstock does not run in a separate set of ways--I simply can not remember.

It's been almost 20 years now since I've worked at a place that had several dozen lathes of various make and sizes all within in the same facility.

If this L&S lathe bed is representative:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/lodgeshipley/

....then it's the same as my SB, only reversed back-to-front. The
tailstock rides on an inner flat and an inner V, while the carriage
rides on the pair of outer Vs.

Thus, if he's riding on the tailstock ways, he could get some
improvement. If not, not.

--
Ed Huntress