Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_5_] TomR[_5_] is offline

Default How to remove door closer cover

"AndyHancock" wrote in message
On Mar 9, 7:39 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 8, 11:15 pm, AndyHancock wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After
googling, I determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer
has a plastic cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom.
No screws are visible, they look like holes in the casing. No
amount of pulling seems to be able to remove the cover. There are
no manufacturer markings on the cover. Is there a common way to
remove such a cover?

Some of them do not have covers. The holes you see might be the
adjusting screws. Try to look inside and see if they are hex shaped
for an allen key.

Otherwise posting a picture would help.

I looked inside before posting. The holes are about 3-4mm diameter.
There is nothing that I can see that looks like a screw for any head
or bit. It's just a darkness, even with a flashlight shining in. If
I try to probe the opening with a small screwdriver, it goes in about
an inch before encountering something, and in one of the holes, the
thing being encountered isn't a surface that stops the screwdriver so
much as it diverts the screwdriver to one side.

I'd like to post a picture, but I'm using Google Groups to access this
forum. What is the next best way to post a picture? (I don't do
social media, and I've learned long ago to be anonymous on usenet).

I have never used Google Groups so I don't know if this will work, but to
post photos I usually use http://tinypic.com/ . I upload the photo there,
then it produces a URL link that I can copy and post in the message. People
click on the URL link that I post and that takes them to the photo.