Posted to alt.home.repair
AndyHancock AndyHancock is offline

Default How to remove door closer cover

On Mar 9, 7:38 am, "Meanie" wrote:
"AndyHancock" wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After
googling, I determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer
has a plastic cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom.
No screws are visible, they look like holes in the casing. No
amount of pulling seems to be able to remove the cover. There are
no manufacturer markings on the cover. Is there a common way to
remove such a cover?

Is this a commercial closure? Often, there are two allen head secure
screws on top. I believe it's a 1/8 allen wrench. Loosening them
will allow the cover to be removed. Then you can access the three
(usually three depending on the brand) pressure set screws using the
same size allen wrench.

It is the wooden front door of a highrise apartment unit. There are
no screws on top. It looks a bit like these:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...ser-F8300-.jpg
http://www.factorydirecthardware.com...lum_141-01.jpg

Each of these housings show 3 holes at the end, but I only have the
upper and lower one -- not the middle one.