Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

In message , Windmill
writes
DrTeeth writes:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:07:56 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
(Windmill) disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

They say that antibiotic resistance can even be spread from one type of
bacterium to another.

It is a fact, not a 'they say'.

I was implying that I didn't know for sure. That for myself it was
hearsay, not something I'd checked.

Strange thing is that they knew about resistance 50 years ago, but
didn't ensure that it was generally understood by patients.

Patients do not need to understand it, they just need to do what they
are told by those that do.

That's one of the problems.
I'm sure you don't necessarily and automatically do everything an
expert tells you, not at least unless given reasons.
And even the best of antibiotics seem to have some minor side-effects,
on me at least, providing a false motivation for stopping early.
And people just forget that which appears to be trivial.

So if doctors want to improve the chances that a course of antibiotics
will be taken to completion, it will be best to explain why rather than
relying on the doctor-is-God idea.

Had I not been told by a medical student 50 years ago about the
resistance problem, I would over the years have added to it.
But I went to school with the guy, and he wasn't yet a doctor, so he
hadn't yet begun to suffer from the notion that he was God and
would/must be obeyed at all times.

Doctor doctor I'm suffering from morning sickness

Here take these pills

Are they safe?
of course they are. How dare you question my authority? Besides we've
tested them on rats.

Doctor doctor my babies got no arms
--
bert