Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to set up gas central heating controls

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 1:36:06 PM UTC, ss wrote:
I am trying to get the best economies with an acceptable level of
comfort, so a bit of a balancing act. Using a Baxi combi boiler with 14
radiators. (some rads turned off) (house occupied 24/7)
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.
Now as I can see there are 3 elements.
1. The temp controls at the boiler (low/med/high)for controlling the
water and another for the rads.
2. The thermostat on the time control box.
3. TVR valves
Is there a `best way` to adjust anything eg is it better to have a lower
temp setting at the boiler or a higher one and let the stat control the
heat.
As far as the TVR valves are concerned I have them mid point in bedrooms
etc but full on in the main lounge (where the stat is)
Short of getting uncomfortable is there a `best` set up for economy use
in general terms accepting we all have different comfort levels.

You'll get far more payback by putting your time/effort into draughtproofing and insulating

NT