Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] busbus@gmail.com is offline

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

On Monday, December 17, 2012 6:23:04 PM UTC-5, DanG wrote:

I question whether you really should refinish this set. I assume it is
fairly good shape and just needs some TLC.

Pick out some portion that is inconspicuous, perhaps the legs or
undercarriage of the table or the back legs of the buffet.

As others have noted:
lacquer will be softened by lacquer thinner.
shellac will be softened by denatured alcohol.
varnish would require paint remover.

I would suggest starting with paint thinner and very fine steel wool.

Rub it down really well and clean and wipe with clean rags and paint
thinner until a white rag comes away clean. The paint thinner won't
hurt any finish that is on the pieces and will remove wax and polish.

I'm wanting you to see what it looks like with just a really good
cleaning. If there are any scratches, etc use some Watco Danish oil of
an appropriate color. When fully dry (at least one day) give the area
you've been working on a goodly coat of paste wax using a pad of fine
steel wool as the applicator. Let dry for at least two days. Buff
with an old bath towel. I think you might be pleased and surprised to
just quit after using this process. Refinished stuff tends to look
refinished. Remember that on Antiques Road Show they always value the
original finishes.

Thanks, Dan.

So what you are saying is to use paint thinner and it will get all that built up wax and sticky fingerprints off and leave the finish alone. That's what I wanted to hear most of all. I was surprised when somebody said they used stain way back then to make things darker. That is probably the reason the tops of the chair backs are lighter than everything else: because people always put their hands right in the middle of that spot.

Is that where I could put a little danish oil? This isn't the best piece of furniture. Because of circumstances, we use this dining set at least a couple times a month. Sometimes for eating and sometimes for doing things on it. We keep it covered but the old scratches and such are there. There was a cat years and years ago that used to jump up on the table and got some claw marks in it. There are marks from writing on the table top--some are probably as old as the table. And, like I said, there are several deep gouges in the buffet top.

That said, I have a can of Johnston's Paste Wax, some Danish Oil, and a lot of 000 steel wool. Is that fine enough? Do they make a 0000 steel wool?

Thanks again for the answers!