Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

wrote:

That is the first question: how do I figure out what they used to
finish the dining set? Varnish, shellac, what else would they have
used seventy years ago?

Why do you really care what they used 70 years ago?

Next question is what should I use to finish it again? I assume I
would want to use the same thing. I certainly don't want to use any
sort of poly.

Why do you say you certainly don't want to use any poly?

The chairs are getting a little wobbly but I don't think they are
anywhere near the point of having to take them apart. Would it be
worth it to look into that glue that is applied using a needle; the
kind of needle like a doctor uses? It seems like these can get into
really small places, obviously, but I don't know if the stuff works.

Ok - since it is apparent you do not want ot use any modern methods and
products, then go ahead and use a syringe. What the hell - today's
adhesives just can't be any better than what they used back then.

One last thing: how do I get my wife to understand that the entire
set is going to be much, much lighter than it is now?

Why would that be?

She was born
20 years after this set was purchased, so she has only known it to be
on the dark side. I am sure she is going to scream at first. I
guess the only thing I can say is wait another 70 years and it will
be just as dark as it is now, except she will be 120+ years old by
then and the last thing she will be thinking about is what the set
looked like in 2012.

Or - you can do what the people do that restore furniture for a living. A
quick google search will show you a lot of things that are apparently
contrary to what you've already said you want to do. Your call...

--

-Mike-