Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Plug 3/4-10 threaded holes

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:22:22 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I pulled the bolster plate on a 30 ton Bliss press to repair the
hold-down bolt holes. There are 21 inserts that are "T" shape with a
minor dia. of 1.25" and the major dia. of the flange is 2", they are
installed from the bottom and are drilled and threaded 5/8-11. I
drilled them all out and threaded them 3/4-10. What happens is after
only 20 years or so the 5/8-11 holes get boogered-up and stripped.
sometimes the dies get changed 10 times a day. The 3/4-10 should last a
LOT longer and hold better. I want to plug all the holes that aren't
being used for that set-up so crap and little pieces of steel wire don't
get in the hole and shorten the thread life and hamper easy set-ups.

I looked on the web and I'm NOT spending $3-5 apiece. I will cut
threaded rod and grind or mill a slot for a screwdriver if I can't find
a better solution. The plugs have to be easy and quick to remove and
install and keep the spoo out. Any suggestions?

Threaded rod sounds like your best option.

Gunner

1. Lie