Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plug 3/4-10 threaded holes

On 11/26/2012 10:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:22:22 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I pulled the bolster plate on a 30 ton Bliss press to repair the
hold-down bolt holes. There are 21 inserts that are "T" shape with a
minor dia. of 1.25" and the major dia. of the flange is 2", they are
installed from the bottom and are drilled and threaded 5/8-11. I
drilled them all out and threaded them 3/4-10. What happens is after
only 20 years or so the 5/8-11 holes get boogered-up and stripped.
sometimes the dies get changed 10 times a day. The 3/4-10 should last a
LOT longer and hold better. I want to plug all the holes that aren't
being used for that set-up so crap and little pieces of steel wire don't
get in the hole and shorten the thread life and hamper easy set-ups.

I looked on the web and I'm NOT spending $3-5 apiece. I will cut
threaded rod and grind or mill a slot for a screwdriver if I can't find
a better solution. The plugs have to be easy and quick to remove and
install and keep the spoo out. Any suggestions?

Mcmaster carr has 3/4-10 x 3/4L set screws for $0.98
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Hmmm, those are in my budget AND I get a discount.