Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Anybody recommend a good camera that I can use with Win98?

On Nov 25, 7:47*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
It sounds as though you definitely need to add memory capacity.

You may find worthwhile info regarding which specific SD or SDHC cards are
recommended by the manufacturer, or possibly at various camera forums.

There are numerous classes of SD/HC, and some equipment doesn't work well
with the latest releases of the cards (C6 or higher).
I've been trying C2,4, 6 and 8 recently in several of my audio/video
DVR/camera devices and some units won't record/save files reliably on some
classes of SD/HC, but work fine with others.
It appears that the newest/fastest write speed SD/HC cards don't work well
with equipment that may only be 2 to 4 years old. Apparently the timing
cycle requirements are different.
Most packaging is marked with a number inside a 'C', but it may not be easy
to see.

Unlike many devices/components which are "backward compatible", the newer
SD/HC (and maybe other formats) are not.

Also be aware that the manufacturer may release firmware updates after the
equipment has been on the market for a while, permitting the use of updated
memory devices and/or other features.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Like the subject, anybody know a good camera that I can use with
Win98?

I've been using the Motorola RAZR phone which has terrible images,
requires WinXP [ptui, ptui, cusre be gone!]

Is alright to get by, but images are like 60k and more of a thumbnail
image than a real image.

I just bought a Vivitar 16MPixel ViviCam S524, which listed the system
requirements on the back of the envelope. They left out that you MUST
have internet connection to download a huge bulky bloated program,
Plus, and this is far more important, model is NOT listed in included
CD, call to Customer Service informs that software not available yet,
wait 2 weeks and come back to their website ??!!!

So, what I need is a camera with decent image capability, that I can
download images through the USB port, and be done with it. I don't
want to connect to their websites, I don't want to download a program
that will take 24 hours to download via dial-up, I *just want a !@#$!#
$@%^^ camera!

Thank you for THAT heads up! I have no idea how to make certain the
two work together, but 'unreliable'? arrrggg! That's the WORST kind of
failure mode.

Without the manual, [which is NOT available I guess for two more
weeks] I have no idea what SD card will work. Perhaps there's a
section just for Vivitar. I'll make certain they're returnable just in
case.