Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default How change color TV to adjustable HVPS?

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
hifi-tek wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
eb.com...
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:17:23 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

Ian Field wrote:

"Robert wrote in message
Attached is a truncated version of the manual as the 2Megs would not
transmit.
Also, are enlarged parts showing horizontal section; T703 output to
CRT is about 30KV.
Would be nice to have adjustment from around 10KV to full 30KV.

Thankx.

Do you actually need the full current that a CTV flyback stage can
generate 24kV at?

Years ago I was messing around with the transformer from the PSU out
of
an Amiga or somesuch - I'd turned the transformer around and driving
one of the original secondaries with a low VCEsat power transistor to
get high voltage from what had been the primary.

Apart from turning the transformer around, it was the same blocking
oscillator style self oscillating chopper as the original circuit -
the
problem encountered the first time I powered up was a continuous arc
between the pins of the high voltage winding. It was neccessary to
complete the circuitry including the regulation loop for safe
operation.

If you don't need a vast amount of current at EHT voltage, this basic
circuit driving a diode/capacitor ladder will do just fine.
I have no idea as to how much current these nominally supply to the
CRT; suppose it is maybe 1mA or so.
Current capability could decrease as voltage decreases but it would
be nice to have nearly the same current capability as far down as 20KV
and then decrease in current capability.

I see no sense in ripping out the xfmr, building another supply do
run another oscillator - why re-invent the wheel when it is there and
nicely round?

So,how could one vary the output voltage?

One thing to note is that the picture tube is part of the circuit. The
coatings on the inside and outside of the tube form the filter capacitor
for the high voltage. If you intend to remove this part of the PC board
from the TV and use it as a stand-alone power supply, you will have to
provide a replacement capacitor; probably around 500 pF @ 40 KV should
do
it.

Good point. TV flyback HV supplies are designed for a certain operating
point, if adjustment of the voltage is needed, the current capability
will
suffer. I'd like to see schemo's of Glassman HV supplies to see how they
do
it. They are wonderful supplies, and even more wonderfully expensive!
Tom

Seems all adjustable HV supplies are in the $100 and up (mostly up)
range; cannot afford that.
The TV was wonderfully inexpensive (about $2.75 with sales tax).

Anybody know the current capability and/or what the CRT anode draws at
nominal brightness (30KV)?

Pick a CRT type No & download the datasheet.