Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

Default extra 3/8 shut off valve for sink faucet?

"Abacab" wrote in
message oups.com...
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...et-716374-.htm
Abacab wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:

After reading this about 4 times, I realize he means to crimp the
existing,=
flexible supply line going from the valve to the sink, unhook the end
of t=
he hose from the sink, connect a valve t the end of the hose and another
ho=
se from the new valve to the sink. That would allow him to install a new
va=
lve without shutting off the water.

--

Yes. While not expressed as clearly as it could have been this is what I
meant. A kitchen contractor I hired did this and he said he crimped the

This would do the trick IF it doesn't r=
upture the hose (which is probably old) and flood the apartment.

There's always that risk so being able to shutoff the water in case
something goes wrong would be highly advisable.

BTW a furnace contractor replaced a broken gas shutoff valve without
shutting off the gas, in the same property, and for the same reasons.

Oh, THAT'S what you mean........OK well, go buy a 3/8" x 3/8" compression
fitting valve like I posted earlier and another 3/8" faucet supply hose. Use
vice grips with metal strips or something else to cover the serrated jaws so
the water line isn't damaged, and pinch off the line. Disconnect the supply
line from the faucet. Take the compression nuts & ferrules off the new valve
and discard. Hook the old supply line to one side of the new valve. Hook one
end of the new line to the other ned of new valve, and the other end of new
line to the faucet. Remove vice grips.....