Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Sorting out scrap copper and brass

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 14:25:25 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

However there will be times when there are things which can't be
seperated (without some hassle), such as brass olives on copper pipe.

Doesn't take much to saw a diagonal cut through the olive with a junior
hacksaw then open it with a flat scredriver to get the olive off.

Or I saw an different design olive removal tool in been and queued the
other day. This one will fit any pipe with an ID than about 10mm.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools...ools/plumbing-
tools/plumbing_tool_accessories/Rothenberg-Olive-Splitter-11247979?skuId=
11758684

http://tinyurl.com/9pqpufn

But not at that price...

Don't think I could recover the cost on one lot of pipe.
It is mind numbingly boring removing all the fittings anyway and having to
hacksaw each olive would probably finish me off.
Angle grinder seems a bit over the top.
On 15mm pipe I am alternating between a pipe slice and bolt croppers.
Bolt croppers are quicker but heavier and more hassle.
You can use a pipe slice sitting down :-)

So the question remains - if I have mixed brass and copper (such as with a
compression joint which is all scaled up and too much effort to take appart)
or a stub of copper with a brass olive, which pile does it go in?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder