Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Any ideas for putting a washing machine motor to good use?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:04:44 -0700, NT wrote:
DIY uses: cement mixer, one day I'll make a bucket size one, 20w is
probably all that's needed though. Hoist. Plaster paddle mixer. Monster
whole house cooling fan.

Cooling fan, perhaps... but most applications are low speed/high torque
and so need massive amounts of reduction gearing to be useful.

I've got a freebie tumble dryer which has sat in the workshop for about 8
months waiting for me to think of a use for it :-) At least the drum on
that does turn quite slowly (unlike a WM), but I expect the belt would
just snap if I tried to mix cement with it (assuming the support
structure didn't give out due to weight). I got it was because I was
hoping it had flat sides that I could use as covering for some
workbenches, but it turned out that they were pressed with a pattern for
strength.

cheers

Jules