Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Any ideas for putting a washing machine motor to good use?

On Aug 26, 4:30*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
Having recently scrapped my 30-year-old Zanussi washing machine, I
stripped it for potentially re-usable parts.

The part with the greatest potential is the motor, but I've no idea what
to use it for!

It's a hefty beast, with a centrifugal clutch inside its pulley. It had
no fewer than eight wires connected to it - presumably for selecting the
various speeds, and for going into reverse when agitating the washing.

The label on the motor says the following:
ZEM 20571033
CEI107/10-IEC 335
4A 260W 2780 RPM
3A 180W 1380 RPM 8/10uF 400VL [1]
1.1A 95W 900 RPM 8/10uF 450VL

Googling for the model number doesn't produce anything useful.

I'm looking for innovative suggestions of possible uses for this beast.

I'd also be interested to know just what the label is telling me, and
how to work out how to wire it up[2] to get it to work.

[1] The 'u' of 10uF is actually a Greek mu - presumably for micro-Farad

[2] i.e. which wire does what, and where to put the external 8uF
capacitor [3]

[3] I did try to trace the wiring when I dismantled it, but the harness
was such a tangled rat's nest that it proved to be beyond me!

Looks like a different animal to the usual wm motor. Generally they
run at around 15,000rpm, and have 2 wires for field, 2 for armature
and 2 for tacho. And one chassis connection

DIY uses: cement mixer, one day I'll make a bucket size one, 20w is
probably all that's needed though. Hoist. Plaster paddle mixer.
Monster whole house cooling fan. In fact you've got enough power in
that to add an extra floor in the house, collapsing the unused floors
when you leave them

NT