Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Chimney breast removal

"Phil L" wrote in message
harryagain wrote:

Another problem is that the chimney may support the roof structure and
alternative support must be found.
I think trying to remove the chimney breast while leaving the stack
is a very bad idea regardless of the dodges one sees advocated.
You do gain a lot of space.

I don't know why people fuss over removing chimney breasts - I've removed
dozens of them and never had any problems.

People seem to think that they are a freestanding structure that the house
is built around, and by removing the bottom, the whole lot will cave-in,
this has never happened and never will because they are keyed into the
external wall at each side, so an inverted V shape of brickwork may fall,
but that's it.

tell that to my dads next door neighbour.
They decided to take the fire place out and started at the bottom.
They had the whole concrete lining and the outer chimney fall in.
None of it was tied into the external wall and it was completely free
standing.

Some steel gallows above the bedroom ceiling, at each side and below the
mid feathers and all is sound again.