Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OKeefe Merritt Stove won't heat up

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:59:31 -0400, Saul Bloom
wrote:

On 7/3/2012 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sir, you have no sense of style and class. O'Keefe& Merritt made
fine stoves that are sought by collectors. Parts are still available
from
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/parts/partso'keefe.html

I have to agree with Norm. If these stoves are so great, why is the
company out of business?

Like many companies, owners die, they are sold from one conglomerate
to another Frigidare lives on in name only, a tiny fraction of the
quality it was when GM owned the brand. O & M went bankrupt and the
assets were bought by Tappan around 1980 or so. Tappan became part of
WCI (White Consolidated Industries) that changed names to Frigidare
and was bought by Husqevarna and is now Electrolux. They also ate up
Norge, White, Westinghouse, Crosely and a few others.

Thanks but I prefer a Whirlpool Accubake convection range.

Well good for you. My point was though, that fixing a good quality O
& M range is a better choice than most stoves that are on the weekend
sale at Lowes. The convection oven may be a bit better, but the
burners are no better and the style does not fit in some houses.

Whirlpool used to be the Nineteen Hundred Corporation. They have
acquired other bands and sell under about a dozen names. Amana,
Kitchen
Air, Estate, Indlis, Roper and others.