Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default BBQ Pit

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:10:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

Experiences, hints, caveats, do-overs, facts, etc. appreciated.

Steve

BBQ is often confused with "grilling" on a grill. Real BBQ is a slow
process, usually long hours at low heat as low as 170° F. BBQ is
using indirect heat - the fire box is offset and not directly under
the food being cooked. "Low-N-Slow" sometimes up to 14 hours or so.

Indirect heat prevents the meat from drying out, so it stays tender
and moist.

See the fire box on the bottom right of this unit.

http://assets.smokingmeatforums.com/9/97/97b5f9ae_BrickSmoker.jpeg

The heat is indirect so the low heat and smoke travels over the meat.

I want to build one, but not that big. Mine will be fairly large, however,
and will probably have a metal roof over it. I have been toying with ideas
on how to transfer heat and smoke from firebox to cooking chamber, and have
even thought of a series of sch 40 steel pipes with dampers on them. I
would say mine would have a footprint of about 50 square feet.

Steve