Posted to alt.home.repair
Atila Iskander Atila Iskander is offline

Default BBQ Pit

"Steve B" wrote in message
Anyone make a BBQ pit out of bricks/blocks, mortar, and steel grating?
There are a lot of designs out there, and I want to make a decent one on
the first try. I will probably make it out of block, concrete, some steel
piping, flue liners, metal roof. Just wondering if anyone had built one,
had any suggestions, or warnings, that's what I was asking.

Experiences, hints, caveats, do-overs, facts, etc. appreciated.

I made a fire pit out of fieldstone
Keyhole shape
The rectangular cooking area has 4 wrought iron post at the corners that are
Y-shaped at the top, to receive a ceramic coated rack from a recycled
propane BBQ. Rock has to be igneous to survive the heat and not split over
time.
The field stones help concentrate the heat in the cooking area
Use pavers underneath to help with clean-up of ashes.

I also have a wrought iron tripod to hand a pot, or can be converted to a
spit (2 vertical - 1 horizontal)
By using cast iron S-hooks, I can control the height of the spit.
I also have a motor that clamps to one of the vertical to turn the spit.

All the iron work was done by a blacksmith who likes to attend local
"Voyageur" events
To minimize rust, clean off the ironwork and rub beeswax on it. The heat
will carbonize it to the iron.