Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 14:53:34 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 10:56:14 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jun 9, 4:31Â*am, wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 03:16:49 -0500, wrote:
I have a friend who runs a business. Â*Their main breaker is on the
outside of the building right along a busy back alley. Â*Inside the
building directly behind that main breaker is the panel with all the
individual breakers. Â*The box looks similar to this:
http://www.solarpanelstore.com/assets/ch_dpb222r.jpg

If you look on the bottom, there is the tab that sticks out with the
hole, which is meant for a small padlock. Â*The problem is that the box,
had a plastic tab. Â*Why the manufacturer used a plastic tab (the rest of
the box is metal), is beyond me. Â*It had a lock on it, but the plastic
tab broke off, and ever since people keep shutting off the power at
least once a month. Â*That affects all kinds of electronic equipment
inside, and disrupts business. Â*The business owner is a woman who dont
understand all the technical issues, she just wants the box to be tamper
proof. Â*I told her I'd see what can be done, and will install something
if possible.

I suggested drilling a few holes and putting a hasp on the box, with pop
rivets and padlocking it, but I tend to wonder if there is any sort of
legal requirements. Â*I suppose in the event of a fire, the Fire Dept
might want to shut off the power. Â*This makes me question what to do.
I'm also not sure who to ask locally about this? Â*Maybe the power
company?????

Anyone know anything about this?

One other thought was to drill a hole right below that slot and just use
a cable tie through the slot and the hole. Â*Anyone can cut it off, but
it might be enough to discourage them. Â*Right now all they need to do is
lift the cover and shut off the breaker. Â*At least a cable tie would
require more effort by tamperers, and still be easily cut in an
emergency.

Is this covered in the USA electrical codes? Â*I dont have the book.
(Are the codes available online?)

Gene

This comes under the definition of readily accessible. You are allowed
to put disconnects and overcurrent devices behind a locked door to
prevent access by unauthorized persons as long as all tenants have a
key.

The fire department is not an issue. If they want in, they will get
in.

The NFPA 70 handbook says "The definition of readily accessible does
not preclude the use of a locked door for service equipment or rooms
containing service equipment, provided those for whom ready access is
necessary have a key (or lock combination) available."

You are so full of ****, may AHJ's require total access
to buildings protected by a fire alarm system which
is connected to the fire departments dispatcher...

So yes, given the commercial occupancy access
to the main utility cut offs no matter what flavor
is something the fire department will have a say over...

A lock box containing keys which open the whole
building is how a lot of those AHJ's define
"readily accessible"...

And your qualifications to call someone who quotes NFPA "full of ****"
is ???

Cite the NEC rule that says the disconnect can't be inside a locked
door.

Darn thing should be INSIDE the building, for starters.
In the office building where I work every morning, both the main
transformer vault and the electrical service room, which contains a
couple smaller transformers, main disconnect, several timers and 2 sub
panels are under lock and key at all times. 2 other sub-panels are
located in the kitchen. All 4 sub-panels have key-locks on the doors,
but are not locked. This is in Canada - so could be different in the
USA.