Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 03:16:49 -0500, wrote:

I have a friend who runs a business. Their main breaker is on the
outside of the building right along a busy back alley. Inside the
building directly behind that main breaker is the panel with all the
individual breakers. The box looks similar to this:
http://www.solarpanelstore.com/assets/ch_dpb222r.jpg

I suggested drilling a few holes and putting a hasp on the box, with pop
rivets and padlocking it, but I tend to wonder if there is any sort of
legal requirements. I suppose in the event of a fire, the Fire Dept
might want to shut off the power. This makes me question what to do.
I'm also not sure who to ask locally about this? Maybe the power
company?????

Anyone know anything about this?

If it was high voltage, even inside it would be required to have a
lock. In this case, code or not, it world be locked.