Posted to rec.woodworking
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Need to refinish a mahogany front entry door

On 6/7/2012 10:16 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Found a local shop that does this work - they remove your door to
their shop for 7-10
days, and install a temporary door by screwing it to the door jam.

Call me dense, but it's not really a temporary "door" if it's screwed to
the jamb, is it? I guess in order to get in and out of the house you
have to use an alternate door for that 7-10 days? Wouldn't it be
possible for them to hang a temporary door off the existing hinges along
with your handle and lock hardware so you could actually *use* the
thing, and so that you wouldn't have to repair any damage to the jamb
afterwords? Doesn't seem that difficult to me...

don't you have to mortise the hinges into the jamb for the door to
actually work? it's just not a matter of filling a few screw holes in
that case.

it's a temp door. why not leave the hinges in the jamb and mortise the
temp door to accept the existing hinges. that way, the jamb doesn't have
to change. the shop may have to occasionally by a temp door when the one
they're using gets torn up too much from different houses.