Posted to rec.woodworking

Default makeshift vice

"sal" wrote in :

Morning Fellows I have a bit of a problem I don't have a proper work
bench , not enough room in garage, I use a couple of pieces of 3/4"
ply on top of each other over sawhorses. I have a number of 3/4" x 3"
oak slats from outdoor benches to sand . How do I hold them securely
to be able to face sand them with out vice jaws getting in the way.

Sal

A vise might hold a 3/4" workpiece well enough with 1/8-1/4 sticking
proud of the jaws to sand it. It just depends on your vice and how
smooth the sides of the workpiece are. I'd probably clamp to a table or
bench.

When clamping to the bench, I often put a clamp at one end and somewhere
around halfway down. Then, I simply sand up to near the clamp and move
the clamp when the unclamped part is finished. If clamping position is
important, a third clamp can be employed so there's two clamps holding
the piece at any time.

If you've got small pieces, a commonly demoed trick is to trace around
the workpiece on a piece thinner than the workpiece and cut that out.
The workpiece is then placed in the frame and the frame is clamped.
Sometimes they use a piece of shelf liner to keep the piece from moving
around.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.