Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default PVC Compression coupling - suitable for outdoor water pipe, and life span?

While I was digging up my water pipes, I came across a PVC compression
coupling that was used to connect two metal pipes together. How
suitable is this? This is in the main water line that goes into my
house, and I"m concerned about the life span of this coupling. It
doesn't leak at this point, but what kind of life span do these things
have? If I leave it, am I going to have to dig it up in a couple of
years when it starts to leak? I have most of this pipe dug up right
now, and it would be easier to replace it all now than to have to dig
it back up in a couple of years. OTOH if these things are good for a
few decades, then I'm just gonna fill the ditch in and leave it.