Posted to alt.home.repair

Default York Affinity series furnace

On May 27, 10:58*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2012 08:34:31 -0500, Bill Gill
wrote:

TIA

I have an Affinity 93% furnace. *It is a lot better than the 30 year old
one that it replaced. *The biggest problem I have with it is that the
blower is noisy. *It runs noisy and it is noisy starting up. *Starting
up it makes a kind of a squawking noise, then just general blower noise.
I could wish that it was quieter, particularly since the closet is
right next to my bedroom.

Bill

Belt drive? *I'd check the tension and maybe put on some belt dressing
to eliminate the startup noise. *I'd also check to see if it can run
at a slower speed and still do a proper job for you.

Not likely a belt drive in a 93% AFUE furnace.

For Tony's question, don't have any experience with York.
But I wonder how much more the 98% modulating furnace
costs than one a step down, say 94%. I'd wonder about
the increasing complexity, more things to go wrong, cost,
etc vs a little improvement in efficiency. In particular I
don't see the need for an infinitely variable moduating
furnace. It would seem two stage gets you most of what
you're gonna get anyway. I guess if you're not paying
anything much for it and you're not worried that it may be
more complex than a simpler system to diagnose, fix,
etc. then maybe it's OK. I went through that analysis
couple years ago and went with 2 stage, 94%.