Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Sprinkler wire question

"genius" wrote in message
Hey all,
I am trying to move my sprinkler controller (an Orbit digital job
about 4 years old) to a more convenient spot in the garage. It has
very thick, I would guess 12 gauge, wire going from the valves to the
controller box. Is that the required thickness? I was thinking if I
used cat5e, there's 4 twisted pair so I can get a unique colored wire
to each of my 8 zones That would make reconnecting the wires after I
extended
in 25' or so of cat5e, to the timer quite simple since I know which
wire would be which zone. I googled all over and it looks like
minimum 14 gauge for underground use. Since I am above ground and in
a garage, can I use the cat5e even though it's 24 gauge?
TIA

I would say it depends on how much power in watts the valves draw and the
voltage. 50 watts at 120 volts is .416 amps but at 12 volts it will draw
4.16 amps, cat5 cable is probably only 22 gauge and cannot carry many amps.
Also cat5 may not last long in the ground and exposed to water and other
elements.