Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default How necessary is gravel under concrete?

On 4/27/2012 8:22 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

And no rebar?

I like the idea of rebar (or even mesh) in residential driveways but
I've yet to see it in the dozen or so driveways under construction
I've come across on Long Island or in Houston. All were poured on
just sand without any gravel. Personally I like the idea of sand,
gravel and rebar but that's not what I've seen so far. Of course one
reason is probably to keep costs down.

I like some iron in there, too-- but I keep hearing folks who know a
lot more about it than I do say that the fiberglass right in the mix
is a better binder. To a casual observer it looks like there is
*no* reinforcement, but it is in the mix.

Jim

There'll be 1/2" rebar on two foot centers in any slab i own. No steel
in concrete is just stupid.

--
Steve Barker