Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Shear strength of screws

Used to be that framing had to be toe nailed...
Now I see nails used from top and bottom sil to studs. Not as strong.
The toe nailing really locks it in from both sides.
straight nailing will not withstand storm forces as much.
But then again, most roofs will easily lift before the framing gives.

On 4/11/2012 7:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/11/2012 6:33 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:26:06 -0700, RP wrote:

Up here in the Northeast, if we are framing a house, we cannot use
screws. Must use nails or you will not pass the framing inspection.

That seems a little strange - what's the rational given, if any?

Nails generally have a greater shear strength than screws, thus the
requirement in some areas are very specific as to the nails used, their
size, makeup, and nailing patterns.

I learned the hard way that any carpentry (as opposed to ww) work I do,
someday I, or someone who comes after, will have to take it apart again.
I use screws for all that now.