Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

On Apr 11, 7:38*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

He is recommending 10 6" x 16" soffit vents (there are none now) and 6
box vents instead of the current 4.

That's less than 7 sq ft of soffit vents. Assuming a 20% loss for the
screening, you'll have a bit over 5 sq ft of actual vent space.

That should be more than enough for an 800 sq ft house.

Do you live in a single-wide?

I agree with you and HomeGuy. This isn't rocket science. You
want adequate intake and adequate exhaust venting. You gave
a formula of 1 sqft vent for every 150 sqft attic space. I've seen
that used before. DD can do some googling to see if there
are other ratios or confirm that one. Whatever amount you need,
you should have something at least close to that. If the soffit
venting is inadequate, the solution is to fix that, not try to
compensate with more exhaust venting.

Let's say it's 85F inside your house and now it's night so
it's 70F outside. To cool it off best, would you:

A - Open 8 windows upstairs and 8 downstairs

B - Open 8 windows upstairs and 4 downstairs.

C - Open 12 windows upstairs and 4 downstairs

The roofers are suggesting C is the solution, even
though from their proposal they don't have enough
box vents on the exhaust to do C. I vote for A.

Also, we've gone through the math on a ridge vent. Because
it's continuous, you get a lot of opening, far more than from
the # of box vents they are proposing. There are a variety of
ridge vent designs. Some allow air to flow more freely than
others. It's possible the roofers just haven't looked at all
that is available and are basing their conclusions on some
crappy design. As far as continuous vents, I'd prefer that
for the soffits as well for the reason that you get more
area and I think they look better.

From aesthetics, what would you rather have? A bunch of
box vents sticking out of the roof, or a ridge vent that isn't very
noticeable?